Much damage has been done to fundraising efforts by the misinformation being spread by international news services (and many foreign embassies), specifically about the Fukushima power plant. The 10,000 dead and even more still missing, the towns that have been wiped out, all along the north-eastern coast of Japan have absolutely nothing to do with the plant. Trivialising the earthquake and tsunami by focusing on the Fukushima plants shows a staggering lack of intelligent, rational, factual, scientific and correct reporting. The media seems to want only to spread fear and panic.
This earthquake and tsunami was the biggest combined disaster to ever hit Japan -- I hope the foreign media focus will return to this, encouraging more people to help, instead of (wrongly) fearing for their lives.
- Japanese Red Cross society
- Doctors Without Borders/Medicins Sans Frontiers
- World Vision
- Oxfam in Japan - emergency appeal
- Google's crisis response page
- @makiwi has published a huge list of ways to help, and even more have been added in the comments.
- CauseAction.jp has a list of donation sites and methods (Japanese).