After setting up my iPhone last week, I found that there were some touch screen calibration issues - I couldn't touch the setup icon in the Koi Pond application - the screen ended before the point where the application wanted me to touch.
Thanks to a rather Apple saturated home, and installing the TouchTrain application on another iPhone and a Touch, my iPhone clearly showed it was registering touches about 5-10 pixels above where you actually touched.
A genius at the new Apple store in Chadstone happily handed over a replacement after a demonstration, and after setting it up and restoring it from a previous backup of my 'old' iPhone under Windows, the replacement also showed the same problem.
Setting up the 'new' iPhone as a new phone (not restoring it from a previous backup), fixed the problem. (Hmmm.... my electonic-disrupting field has been working overtime recently...)
My theory, is that the original backup 'image' was from a Touch, which had been trained or calibrated to my typing style. I had backed up my contacts to a Mac version of iTunes, and happily these made it back onto the new phone without affecting the touch calibration. If anyone knows the real reason why this problem occurred, I'd love to know!
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
nifwlseirff on flickr
The iPhone is very time consuming to set up, especially when there are so many apps to sort through. Most of them are quite crap, and I still haven't found a good free PDF reader and file manager! And I can't get into the setup for Koi Pond ;>
The Buddha's tears tea from the Tea and Coffee Hub in Box Hill is smooth with only a tiny hint of jasmine - quite different to the T2 Buddha's tears (which is full of jasmine). Very drinkable, but I prefer a little more jasmine.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Migrating from Livejournal to Blogger, was a painful process. I am still appalled at the lack of standard import/export formats and tools. Really, it should not have been this difficult to migrate a blog! I copied over all the comments (manually - urgh), but have yet to 'fix' the categories/tags. The steps I took:
- backed up LJ account with LjArchive, on Windows and exported to an XML file
- used a Wordpress.com account to import the XML file (this lost the categories)
- used Ecto on the Mac to grab all of the posts from the Wordpress.com account (this lost the comments, and Ecto refused to grab the LJ posts, Windows Ecto just didn't work :-\)
- copied all the posts from the Wordpress blog in Ecto, to a new Blogger blog in Ecto
- a kindly Google employee temporarily increased my API posting quota, and I published all the 'unpublished' Blogger blog entries from Ecto in one lump (the Blogger API limits you to 50 posts per 24 hour period)
- manually entered the comments, using LjArchive and the Blogger comment interface (viewing only those posts with comments is easy in LjArchive)