Thursday, July 5, 2007

Garden beginnings

Let's see if I can turn this weedy, steep, sloping garden into a productive food area. I sent in an order to my favourite nursery today for a bunch of food plants and herbs, and some associated 'stuff' (manure, compost, mulch, etc.). I'm hoping I can get away without terracing - I do not want to spend money on 'hard' landscaping. I need to get some bags of gravel to fill in those murderous steps, but I can't recall the nursery having any. Bulk delivery is simply not possible - I need to deal with bags. I hope I don't have to do a Bunnings run with the poor little VW and it's not-a-garden-enthusiast driver.

The steps are very steep and dangerous even when they are nicely packed with gravel. Their current state is awful. I've almost fallen down them three times already, and twisted my ankle on them once. I seem to have a habit of spending a load of time, money and energy on rental gardens. I know we aren't going to be here for the rest of our lives, but I guess this is what a hobby is about. Spending energy and money, for enjoyment, and in this case, pain! But it's good pain. Really!

Post a Comment