Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Wake up image

I don't think the size of crop fields in Australia ever registered with me. Having been through Germany, and seeing small fields with tree wind breaks, the Australian fields on the news tonight shocked me. Dead flat, the soil a lifeless grey with no green, a couple of trees on the distant horizon, being plowed because there has been a recent storm which put water back into a nearby creek. Now I understand why they need to spray pesticides from planes - the fields are simply too big, and why they need to add manufactured fertilizer - the soil is too lifeless. I don't understand how the farming industry/government/the majority of the public think this is sustainable and the best way of producing food. I need to put more work into my own garden, even though it is a rented garden.
Post a Comment