Friday, February 9, 2007

Sakura restaurant - Glen Waverley

About 10 years ago I went to the Sakura Japanese restaurant in Glen Waverley for the first time. The food was delicious back then. Unfortunately, that was not the case a couple of weeks ago. I had time to kill before an appointment, dinner tempted my tummy and I ordered a three small entree dishes. I aimed for variety. Tempura should be light, fluffy and melt in your mouth. This tasted cheesy and was quite tough - think the oil was too old? I may have been spoilt by a very yummy tuna tatake in the city, but the one I received at Sakura was drowned in a very heavy-handed soy sauce, raw and tasteless. Sashimi offcuts perhaps? The tonkatsu was the toughest cutlet of any meat that I have ever eaten. The daikon and carrot pickles must have fermented too long - you couldn't taste the vegetables through the vinegar. Even the inexpensive sashimi offcut salad from the Japanese takeaway place in Southbank was incredible in comparison. It was extremely disappointing and I shan't be going back to Sakura any time soon. Hopefully the chefs were just having a bad day.....
Post a Comment