Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Houses....

I should have been an architect. The number of houses I have seen in the past three weeks that have serious design faults is astounding. There are showers that I can only just stand in (and I'm not that tall!); drawers over a meter deep going into under the house; a downstairs teenage 'retreat' with beams that even I could bump my head on; a laundry off a bedroom (albeit large enough to be a family room), an 'inside access' door from the garage through a child's bedroom; a floor to hip height, person wide air intake in the middle of the main loungeroom wall; a security system panel placed high on a wall above stairs (yes, you could easily fall down the steps or not reach it if you were short); daylight showing between the carpet and the skirting board; brand new units with one single power point in each bedroom; a stove placed into an old fireplace, such that the overhang was halfway over the stovetop (with no extraction system installed); and many more weird and strange layouts in the hunt for the next rental house.

As you can probably guess, we didn't get the rental we applied for, which was extremely disappointing - it is still by far the best house we have seen (in about 30odd now). The search is physically and emotionally draining (not that I had any drain-able reserves left of either).

Post a Comment