Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Evoutionary language

On the way to work today, I passed a bus stop advertisement that said:

    Do you like to text?

This was the first 'official' printed form of the verb 'text' that I had come across. This started me musing on how when this generation of primary school children get to University, they would not understand 'correctly' if we asked the to "write a piece of text". We would get submissions in that horrid language which evolved for only one purpose - to fit as much content into as few letters as possible. 'Text' these days seems to refer to both the language (often spelt as 'txt') and the act of writing in that language ('txting').

I must be getting old, as language evolution like this surely has been happening all through my life, but this time I've actually been rather shocked and horrified.

Post a Comment