Monday, February 7, 2005

Diet Tree and various resolutions

I recently found a cute description of the diet tree, which is a lot more approachable than many 'diet' or body image descriptions.

Speaking of diets.. I need to lose 35kg. So... one of my resolutions this year, is to lose it all.

Unfortunately, at the moment I'm in a down cycle - looks like student numbers have at least halved again, which means hardly any classes that need tutors. This is Not Good (tm), as I need at least 22 contact hours to pay rent/bills/food/medical/etc, and was hoping for at least 30 (pay off visa). So far I've only got 6 contact hours, and I'm panicking. And craving pizza (doubly bad with all that cheese - I'd end up in lots of pain, or rather, lots more pain).

I will be applying at various libraries for part and full time positions. I'd prefer to work close to home, as I'd like to continue walking (hmm... must do more of that). Pain levels are very bad at the moment, and I'm having a lot of trouble opening jars/bottles and reaching/stretching for anything (doesn't help that my back has been continually cramped for a couple of days).

Another resolution.. stretching - every day, and yoga at least twice a week. Obviously weight can't be lost easily without some form of exercise, but unfortunately I'm not really able to at the moment. Still, stretching is good, as is rolling around on my back with legs tucked in (helps with sciatic pain).

I should focus also on stress-reducing activities, the hives have come back with a vengeance because I am stressing over the lack of tutoring (I should look at other universities, it's not like I owe my workplace any loyalty after the way they have treated me in the last year).

So, that brings me to yet another resolution - regular meditation/relaxation sessions. It will be easier when I am home, as it works best with candle flames (and my huge collection is obviously not with me while I'm house-sitting). Smokey has taken a liking to attacking candles - especially stealing tea-lights out of their holders. Silly cat! I've been missing my boys heaps. The two cats I'm cat-sitting are definitely not kittens, very placid and boring. However, they do have blunt claws, so there is an upside.

I've been able to get some cross-stitching done, but not as much as I would have liked. I need to focus more on my hobbies - I'm sure that would reduce stress.

So... regular writing, drawing, stitching, gardening, cooking, belly-dancing, knitting, patch-working and reading, here I come. I certainly have been reading loads and loads of fiction, magazines and non-fiction.

I am toying with the idea of starting a monthly or semi-regular stitch'n'bitch/pamper/cook-in/garden/music/wine'n'dine/something 'thing'. Don't know who would be interested though, or who I'd feel comfy with. Pain/depression is a difficult thing for others to deal with, and is also uncomfortable for me to see others struggling to deal with seeing my pain. Of course, if I get a high-contact time job, it's likely I'll be too dead and/or bedridden, at least for a few months. It's easiest for me if people just treat me as normal when it's obvious....

There is the established Tuesday Settlers night - nearly 8 years now of weekly Settlers! Of course, these regulars use the German version - 6 player with Seafarers and Cities & Knights, and is very competitive. This bunch have proven beyond a doubt that their dice are biased, although the exact form of the bias changed when they started using an actual wooden table instead of a tablecloth covered, rickety plastic one.

And there is the brilliant regular video night, which over the past 4 years, has plowed through all of Bab5, Buffy, all but the last season of Angel, loads of movies, and nearly a season of Dark Angel. We should be getting the final season of Angel within the month - yay! As I don't get out much, this is really the extent of my contact with humanity (the comfort of home, where I have heat packs, pain-killers and various other remedies on hand is mostly why I don't get out much), unless you count online stuff.

Having detached from my family, especially while house-sitting by myself, I'm feeling very remote and lost. Am feeling quite desperate to get home, to try to resurrect my garden from the deadness that has occurred due to the horrid weather, and to be around my stuff. All my herbs and oils are at home, and I'm itching to toy with some new herbal teas.

 Ahh, well, less than a week to go now. I'm going to stop rambling now, and get something healthy to eat (mmm... salad :-\), play with Tiger (he's bored and chasing his tail on the chair next to me as if it isn't part of him, and yes - he's a cat, albeit nothing like my crazy kitties), then get some more xstitch done and watch Totoro again...
Post a Comment