Wednesday, February 9, 2005

Chronic pain musings...

I have just been catching up on a few of the email support groups for various types of chronic pain that I have subscribed to, and have been shocked at the number of 'abusive' stories there are in the members' backgrounds. It seems that nearly every member of the various groups has had abusive childhoods or relationships. This seems to suggest a very strong link between chronic stress and chronic pain conditions. I'd like to know if there have been any studies of this, especially at what average age the conditions develop (due to early childhood trauma).

My chronic pain started before I was a teen (sciatica), and then endo pain kicked in shortly after that, and progressively got worse over the years. Costochondritis flared about the same time as sciatica, as did the migraines. CFS, adeno, sinusitis and recurrent bronchitis happened later, shingles and various other problems occured sporadically throughout my school years. When I actually stop to really think about it, due to the 13+ UTIs and kidney infections I had each year for as long as I can remember (I've since been told it was directly due to the abuse), I have had to deal with a lot of pain at a much younger age. Hmmm...

The various groups support endometriosis, adenomyosis, fibromyalgia, CFS, back and joint problems, multiple sclerosis, fibroids, PCOS, costochondritis, you name it, someone in at least one of the group has it, and nearly everyone suffers with depression and many (most?) are overweight (exercise is difficult, it hurts like crazy and in many cases, is impossible).

Post a Comment