Saturday, October 18, 2003

Irresponsibility

I hate it when people are irresponsible with other's time, money and reputation. My mother and brother were picking up some left over outdoor furniture from my old place after mowing earlier in the day, and found my ex-housemate leaving with a trailer load. Mum and Brett came back to check to see that the house was left locked because they had noted that all of the windows and the back doors were wide open. The windows and doors were left completely wide open, and certainly not locked! Only the deadlock on the front door was actually locked, the door handle and wire screen were also both unlocked.

Now for starters, I have no idea where M (ex-housemate) got the keys from for the windows, as I had left the place locked and she had given her window keys back (and didn't have a key to the back sliding door). That is one thing to worry about. My insurance policy is still covering that place, and she did not pay bond (the government did), so if anything happened, I would have to pay for it - it would come out of my bond. And god knows when I would get any money back from her for that. (Note - I did get some of the money she owed... still owing $120 and final bills are due next week). In any case.... seeing that the house was left open, Mum rang me, and I had Bernie drive me there (with a migraine) to lock up. M came back just as we were leaving, walked right past ignoring me, and then when I said something she lost it. I just hope her keys did not fall through the porch when she threw them.

I am quite worried what the state of the house will be when I go to clean on Monday. You see, I had left all but her bedroom spotless and empty (apart from a small pile of her stuff in the dining). Lounge, main bedroom and study were completely empty and the kitchen was spotless. I had left the place clean so I only had to spend a couple of hours finishing up before handing the keys back to the agent. I don't have the time, health, energy or money to spend more time and effort on cleaning. But of course I will if I have to because I have no stain on my reputation as a renter/bill payer, and I will make sure it stays that way, even if it kills me.

I had to pick up some stuff on Thursday on the way home from acupuncture and found her stuff strewn throughout the entire house. Instead of packing, she had spread into every single room with clothes, food, junk mail, paper, books, ornaments, etc. Also found 2 additional mattresses in various rooms, and the kitchen in a horrible mess. Rice all over the floor, leftovers on plates and in saucepans, dishes that had been soaking or waiting to be washed on every available surface in the kitchen. Rotting food had just been tossed into the bin without bags (I don't have a hose there any more to rinse the bin!) I can not believe the irresponsible and disrespectful way is she has treated this situation, the house and me. I had thought she had more sense and respect than that.

What I really don't understand is why she spread everything into all the rooms when she should have been packing to move. As she broke down today when I stressed that she should be responsible enough to leave the house locked properly when left alone, she said she hated moving and had a headache and no time. If she had packed instead of spread she would have been able to move in 1-2 trips! Less than a couple of hours.

Because I asked her to keep the place locked and to show a bit more respect for other's property, money and reputation she broke down. I'm worried that this might cause even more damage to the property, or me to not be paid for the remaining bills. I'm probably worrying too much, but I can't afford to pay for her bills and spend more than half a day readying the house for returning it to the agent.

Post a Comment