Wednesday, January 1, 2003

The Two Towers soundtrack

Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers soundtrack, Howard Shore

This seems more experimental than the first CD, including a lot of non-symphonic instruments and unusual harmonies, which at times clashes a little, but hopefully it will fit in with the movie (I haven't seen it yet). I absolutely loved Gollum's song at the end, originally thinking the singer (Emiliana Torrini) sounded a lot like Bjork, but her voice is a lot clearer. The song reminded me of one in Les Miserables (I can't remember the name of it though). This will be one that I will sing loudly :> The rest of the CD has some great moments, however, I'm not thrilled at the interpretation of the Ents marching to Isengard, having gotten very used to the music for the BBC radio play, performed superbly by a bass/baritone male choir and various instruments. I very much wish the lyrics were provided in the language they were sung, but I guess we can't have everything. Overall I love the CD and am greatly looking forward to seeing how it fits with the movie.

Post a Comment